Monday 21 October 2013

Sitzblog 2

 I was able to navigate my way to the review of THE LOVELY BONES easily enough by hitting the tab at the top SITZBOOKS.


 
Here are some of his comments:
 
"The Good: It's a well-written book for the most part, and I was glad I finally got a chance to read it since I'd heard about it for a while. The story has sad, depressing elements mixed with a bit of suspense. Plus, it's set in the 70s, so that's cool although a bit inexplicable. Does Sebold think she's the Tarantino of bestselling books?

The not-so-good : The way Sebold wraps up the story wasn't terribly satisfying, in my opinion. Also, it's kind of creepy to think that dead people can follow us, watch our every move, and read our thoughts. That seems to have been a more interesting direction for this book, but it never quite went there."
  
 What interested me in what was Sebold`s first novel was that I had first read her autobiography which I found disappointing.  On the other hand, her novel was well written and structured and it was apparent she felt more comfortable in the world of fiction. Dead people cannot comment on the living I heard people say when they criticized the book but I felt they were taking things too literally. What this fictional device allowed Sebold to do was to engage with the characters in a much more intimate way. It actually opened up interesting possibilities for the narrative.
 
Creepy it was in places if you like that sort of thing, which I do, as long as it`s set in a warmer and more comfortable background.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment